If you ask me where to dine for a good steak at a reasonable price in Amsterdam or a decent place for dinner in Amsterdam city Center, I would definitely say: Loetje!, without any hesitation.
Loetje is a famous steakhouse in Amsterdam, and recently, they’ve expanded to Rotterdam and The Hague. Read my post about why you cannot miss Loetje in Amsterdam.
Useful Tips when traveling in Amsterdam:
- Free Voucher at Amsterdam Schiphol Airport
- Important things to know when traveling in Amsterdam for the first time!
- No more tickets on the Van Gogh Museum website? Our exclusive tips!
- [Exclusive 40% OFF] Amsterdam Canal Cruise Tickets is now on sale!
- Best Cafe to chill in Amsterdam City Center
- Top places for Instagram pictures in Amsterdam
- Top 5 cheap food options in Amsterdam
Loetje started as a restaurant in the Amsterdam Zuid area more than 40 years ago, but originally it was just a bar providing beers and snacks.
The owner at the time was not satisfied with what he brought to his business and customers, so he tried to bring something different to the market. Later, he started to offer a steak menu with his working experience at the butcher shop and successfully transformed the bar into a steakhouse!
Nowadays, Loetje has more than 20 chain restaurants across Randstad (big cities in the Netherlands, Amsterdam, The Hague, and Rotterdam).
My experience with restaurants in the Netherlands
Always Google for good food in Amsterdam!
As an Asian food lover in the Netherlands, my experience tells me “check the good restaurants first on the internet or with the people around you before going into any restaurants in the Netherlands”.
Why? That’s simple: after I’ve enjoyed so much good food in Asia at a very affordable price, a normal restaurant (Euro 15-20 per main course) in Amsterdam always disappoints me. Not to mention if it’s in a tourist area.
However, Loetje did not let me down when I first walked in. I know this place via a Dutch friend. In fact, I have been there many times and even recommend it to my friends and readers on my blog.
What I like about Loetje and my exclusive tips
Always remember to make a reservation first before you go!
I visit Leotjes every year, and back in 2019, I visited it 5 times! That sounds crazy, but I like it a lot.
They have good food and a good dining environment. They have many restaurants in Amsterdam, but personally, I recommend Loetje Oost and Leotje Noord.
Which Loetje restaurant to dine?
- Loetje Oost offers the best steakhouse (many people would agree) among all Loetje restaurants, and it is very spacious. I hate it when it’s crowded in the restaurant. Moreover, it’s very close to Amsterdam City Center; you can enjoy the local vibe, not the tourist vibe, there.
- Loetje Aan’t IJ offers the same type of food, but what’s special about it is that: they try to make it like an underwater restaurant. If you want a different atmosphere, be sure to come here! Tip: remember to ask for a table next to the window, so you get the best view, and it is not too noisy when it’s busy.
Tip: ask for a table next to the window to get the best view.
- Central has the best location in Amsterdam for tourists. Why? It’s right across Amsterdam Central Station! It’s easy to get to by any form of public transportation. However, the restaurant is not big (I guess the rent is also not cheap) and is in the basement.
What to order at Loetje? My personal recommendation!
Beef tenderloin steak “Bali” (Highly recommend!)
Highly recommend you order the “Bali” Steak! Did you notice? No vegetables at all!
I always order “Bali steak” without hesitation at Loetje, and all my friends love it as much as I do!
Unless you don’t like spicy food at all! They say Bali steak is spicy, but no worries, it is only a bit spicy to Asians, but it might be quite spicy for the locals.
If you order this one, ask for bread to dip in the steak sauce. That tastes good! The sauce is full of steak taste and very tasty.
Kindly note you only get steak, no vegetables included. Therefore, we also order a salad for sharing.
Chicken and Bacon Salad
Be sure to order Salad, unless you are a meat lover!
The salad also tasted good, with a lot of vegetables.
You can choose from a few salads; we went for this one because I did not like the other 2 options.
Dutch Pea Soup (Dutch: Erwtensoup)
Since you are in the Netherlands, why not try the famous Dutch soup?
Erwtensoup is a traditional Dutch winter soup. Be sure to like this one (kidding).
When I moved to the Netherlands, I did not like Erwtensoup; it is very different from Asia soup. It is very rich and a pea-based soup. However, I like it after 2 years living in Amsterdam (I guess I am a little bit Dutch ;)) I would say freshly made one is better than the ones from the packages at the supermarkets.
After saying so many bad things about Erwtensoup, I personally think Ertensoup from Leotje is not the best I’ve tried, only average. You can try it here or somewhere else. This is my honest opinion.
Now, you have my helpful advice, just reserve your table on time! Let me know about your experience!