Giethoorn has been one of the top Dutch cities for tourists in the Netherlands, but is it good to visit Giethoorn in Winter? Many readers asked us this question on our Instagram account. So, here we write this post about where to stay and everything you need to know for traveling in Giethoorn in Winter.
When is the best time to visit Giethoorn?
We’ve been to Giethoorn in Spring, Summer, and Winter, and we would say: that Giethoorn is beautiful in all seasons. It’s beautiful in Summer, Spring, and Winter, and you see different sides of it in each season. Basically, Giethoorn is a beautiful place, and it looks stunning when the weather is good.
If I have to pick the best season to visit Giethoorn, then Summer is the best, then Spring follows. However, most people visit Giethoorn in these two seasons, and it’s very crowded everywhere. In addition, you can drive a electrical boat all days except Winter.
We went to Giethoorn in Winter a few years ago, and we could barely see any tourists except us.
Moreover, it was freezing cold in Winter, and our accommodation was far from the city center. We were almost crying on our way to the bed & breakfast. Please remember to choose accommodation close to the city center. Otherwise, you would end up crying on the street.
How to get to Giethoorn by public transportation? Any tickets?
Giethoorn is located in the North East of the Netherlands, and it’s easy to get there by public transportation. However, it takes quite some time to get there. We recommend staying overnight in Giethoorn to enjoy the best of it.
How to visit Giethoorn by public transportation?
- Take the NS train to Steenwijk Train Station.
- Take bus No. 70 from Steenwijk Train Station and get off at Dominee Hylkmaweg Stop.
If you plan a day trip to Giethoorn by public transportation, I highly recommend you buy this ticket.
In this ticket, it includes:
- Return ticket to and from Steenwijk Train Station
- The bus ride between Steenwijk Train Station and Giethoorn City Center
- 60 minutes boat ride in Giethoorn
If you prefer to join the local tour, please click here for more information. They are the biggest travel agency in the Netherlands and offer day-trip to Giethoorn from Amsterdam every day in peak season.
Must read when traveling in Giethoorn in Winter
- Dutch Winter brings a variety of bad weather. Make sure you keep yourself warm at all times.
- Bring your scarf, gloves, sweater, and down jackets with you. In short: cover yourself up as much as you can.
- If you stay one night at Giethoorn, I highly recommend you stay close to the city center. Otherwise, it is freezing cold to walk in the winter, especially when it is rainy and windy.
- Many shops are closed, but supermarkets are open in Winter.
- Seize the time to walk when the sun is shining.
- Check the bus schedule, like when is the last bus, if you are on a day trip to Giethoorn.
- Daylight in winter is from 9.00 am to 4.00 pm.
Where to stay in Giethoorn? Our recommendation
Giethoorn is surrounded by a vast natural environment and waterways, attracting many tourists worldwide.
Strongly recommend you to stay overnight and enjoy your breakfast inside the traditional Dutch cottage house since this is what Giethoorn is famous for. Moreover, you can enjoy the peaceful Giethoorn in the evening while walking around the cottage houses and the waterway.
Our top picks for staying in Giethoorn:
We advise staying close to the city center, so there is no need to walk a long way in Winter. Zone A offers the best location for visiting Geithoorn. Zone B is a bit far from the city center (around 20 min walk). They all have a good reputation:
- Kamer met privebadkamer aan de gracht (Zone A)
- B&B De Hofstee (Zone A)
- Vakantieparkgiethoorn (Zone A)
- B&B Heida (Zone B)
- B&B De Galeriet Giethoorn (Zone A)
You can also click here for more B&B options.
LIKE THE POST? SAVE IT FOR LATER!